The Early Learning Everyone Benefits campaign is a national collaboration of 25 early childhood research, service and community organisations, peak bodies and parenting organisations. Together we reach more than 100,000 families, 150,000 children and 100,000 educators.
Our goal is to increase community understanding of the long term benefits of early learning for children, families, communities and the nation.
Children who receive quality education and care prior to starting school are more likely to succeed in later schooling, find employment, and have improved mental and physical health. This means that investment in early learning can elevate Australia’s overall educational performance and long-term productivity.
2019 Federal Election
For Australia to thrive as a nation in today’s globalised economy, we believe our political leaders must commit to providing all children with the best start in life.
We call on all candidates to encourage their parties to adopt these policy measures:
- Develop a cross portfolio ‘Early Years Strategy’ to recognise the importance of early childhood development and early learning across home, community and early childhood settings.
- Children have the right to access at least two days per week of quality early childhood education, irrespective of their parents’ workforce participation or other activity.
- Provide a long-term funding commitment for universal access to quality early childhood education and care (kindergarten / preschool programs) in the year before school.
- Extend universal access to two years before school.
- Commit to strategies to increase access to quality early learning programs for children at risk of educational disadvantage – with particular attention to the need for appropriate service models for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and rural/remote communities.
- Commit to quality improvement through ongoing funding of the National Quality Framework.
- Commit funding to workforce development strategies to address capacity and quality issues.
DOWNLOAD THE FULL 2019 ELECTION BRIEFING [2pg pdf]
Find out more about the benefits of early learning in this brochure [20pg pdf]